Today I learned how to cut a nut pie (I cut our Dixie Pie). A Dixie Pie is like a Pecan Pie, but instead of pecans we use walnuts and chocolate chips. My brother asks for a Dixie Pie every year for his birthday, not instead of a cake, but for a present.
I used to cut a nut pie the same way I cut every pie, but the our bakers have a few tricks up their sleeves. Did you know you are supposed to cut a nut pie upside down?
Below are steps and pictures explaining how to properly cut a nut pie.
1. Gather your pie, cutting board, and a knife (I used a serrated knife because I cut a frozen pie).
2. Gently place cutting board on top of pie to secure it as you turn the pie upside down.
3. Use the knife to cut the pie in half, starting on top, cutting the layer of crust first.
4. Gently cut through the side crust.
5. Now press down the front of the knife into the side of the pie.
6. Press the rest of the knife all the way down into the pie.
7. Gently slide the knife out.
8. Repeat until desired amount of slices are cut.
9. Place tin back on pie.
10. Pick up pie and cutting board and flip for the pie to be right side up.
Click HERE or watch below a video of Andy the Pie Guy cutting a Pecan Pie.